KHYF COUNCIL OF ACADEMIC PATRONS
The main objective of the KHYF is to serve as an umbrella organization that builds and sustains an international network of high quality yoga teachers, therapists and trainers who are trained and practice in the authentic and classical teaching tradition of T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar.
While our objectives may seem lofty, we at the KHYF believe that it is not only achievable, but also will be a fitting tribute to T Krishnamacharya, who himself was an example for excellence in every aspect of his life, be it personal, or professional.
In order to fulfill these lofty ambitions, the KHYF created a Council of Academic Patrons, that will be made up of an international panel of professionals, who are well experienced and respected in their fields of expertise. These are our current Patrons who bestow the KHYF with their expertise, advice and blessings:
1) Sonia Nelson, a personal student of TKV Desikachar since 1975, is Director of Antaranga Yoga and a KHYF Certifed Teacher Trainer. In 2000 Sonia established the Vedic Chant Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico and in 2012 co-developed and implemented a two year Vedic Chant Immersion and Teacher Training Program. She has given yoga and chant workshops throughout the US. and has released a number of CDs including tutorials for Vedic Chant and chanting the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali. Currently, Sonia focuses her teaching on mentoring, continuing education and personal practice development for yoga teachers. More information can be found here.
2) Dr Elena Palomo is an experienced Medical Doctor, Psychiatrist, Homeopath and a Mindfulness Instructor. She has championed patient involvement in healing and is a strong supporter of alternative healthcare modalities including Homeopathy, Mindfulness and Yoga. She has co-created Meditation and Science, a not-for-profit organisation whose main objectives include scientific investigation with regards to meditation and mindfulness, and its promotion, distribution and dissemination not only in the scientific area but also in society in general, promoting the teachings and practice of these disciplines in holisitic health care. For more information on her credentials kindly visit click here.
3) Dr. Arjun Rajagopalan is the Medical Director and Trustee of the Sundaram Medical Foundation in Chennai, India, a non-profit, full-facility, multi-specialty post graduate teaching hospital with 120 doctors and 750 other staff members. He is a Fellow and member of many medical and scientific associationssuch as the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, the American College of Surgeons, and the Association of Surgeons of India; and also a participant in many review boards and committees. Dr Arjun Rajagopalan has published a variety of articles and text chapters for diverse medical journals and textbooks. He firmly believes that all interventions and strategies in health and healing should be "evidence-based". More information can be found here.
4) Dr C Bernard Colaço is an experienced Rheumatologist with a strong research base in the immunopathology of Rheumatic Diseases.
He conducted and published the initial studies in Anti-Phospholipid antibodies at Hammersmith Hospital and Middlesex Hospital in the early 1980’s leading to a massive interest in international research in SLE and APLS, with all the basic principles covered in his pivotal studies. He has also undertaken family studies in the Immunogenetics of Rheumatoid disease.He has championed patient involvement in care throughout his career and established a Patient Led Self Help Group in 1998 which is leading inPatient Public Participation and Collaborative Research. He has undertaken Patient led surveys and audits and is promoting Yoga Therapy as a means to reduce medication and medical intervention at a local health service level, with plans for RCT trials in yoga for low back pain. More information can be found here.
5) Dr. Ramesh Bijlani, a medical doctor, educationist, writer, inspirational speaker, teacher, scientist, and above all a person committed to using his unique blend of talents for touching the hearts and lives of his fellow beings. He is currently the Chairman of Sri Aurobindo Education Society Educated in New Delhi. An extraordinary human being who has vast experience in research, education, writing and mentoring. A detailed resumé of Dr. Bijlani can be found here.
6) Dr. Seshadri Vaduhanambi is one of the leading Ayurvedic doctors of India, and has served for more than 30 years in various capacities in one of the renowned Indian Pharmaceutical Industries, where he was also the CEO for 14 years. He is the recipient of many awards and accolades both nationally and internationally. He practices in Chennai along with his wife and daughter, who are also well known practitioners. He serves as board member and/adviser to many organizations around the country and is an embodiment of Ayurvedic principles and ultimately a very kind human being.
7) Dr. Allister Bush is a consultant child and adolescent psychiatrist based in Porirua, New Zealand. He has clinical and academic interests in psychiatry in different cultural settings, particularly indigenous and Pacific contexts, and the interface between Psychiatry and Indigenous healing practices. He is actively involved in many charitable ventures through which he brings medical care to the underprivileged. He is a great supporter of Yoga for its holistic approach to health, healing and spiritual development.